Friday, August 13, 2010

Curried Cashew Couscous

I have to admit that I've had a bag of couscous hanging around for about a year...and I haven't figured out what to do with it, until now. I picked it up in the bulk section of the grocery store in Whitehorse, Yukon (because Canadians are healthy like that, eh?)...but I put it in a recipe for the first time this week.

I pulled out a recipe I found online, originally from the "Vegan Express" cookbook. The Curried Cashew Couscous was delicious, in my opinion...I had it for yesterday's lunch, dinner, and even breakfast this morning. My dad also ate it up! He supposedly hates curry...but he's never turned away from any of the dishes I make with curry (which is quite a few). Mom didn't feel like eating...but had one bite and said she liked it. Jared took a 1/4 cup of it (you could tell he had great faith that he would like it), and then told me he wasn't a big fan. Oh well...you can't win them all!
If you dare to try this recipe (I really did love it!), then I would recommend Craisins instead of raisins (I have no use for raisins in my life...ugh)...it was the key ingredient, and gave the dish JUST the right amount of sweetness!
Couscous was a completely new venture for me--I would compare it to a rice texture, but smaller...similar in flavor to white rice (but healthier)...and it cooked a LOT faster. I might have to try it as a replacement for rice, some time!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Morgan Hagey said...

I am a big fan of couscous. It's fun for the kids to eat, so they like it too. :)