Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How to massacre mangoes...

Anyone who knows me know that I LOVE produce. I would choose fresh fruit over candy or desserts any day!
Our first week back in town, we visited the Jocotepec market, which is my favorite in the area (there are 5 each week within a 20 minute drive). There was a fruit stand set up, and I just couldn't resist the temptation...could you?




(can you see this? I think it is a cup full of shredded radish, carrot, zucchini, jicima, and perhaps squash? I have no idea what the yellow stuff is on top! You should see how the kids gobble this stuff up!)


I was dying to get a big cup of MANGOS, one of my favorite fruits that I have only had fresh a handful of times (I used to buy frozen mangoes from the Candian Superstore in Whitehorse).

I told the gal working which fruit I wanted, and she grabbed the cup and began to pick up a heaping spoonful of chili powder to put on it. "Oh! No! No chili!" She looked at me funny...silly Gringo...and proceeded to put spoonfuls of something white on the fruit, instead. I thought, "hmm...coconut? Okay...I'm willing to try that..." Then, before I realized it, she had grabbed a lemon, and was squeezing lemon juice all over my perfect mangoes. UGH. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE lemons...but on my MANGOES?!

She handed me the cup, and I paid my $20 pesos. I took a bite, and LOW AND BEHOLD...that white stuff was actually large granulated SALT...and the mix of salt and lemon made for a VERY salty/sour cup of once-perfect Mangoes. At least it wasn't chili powder...



I will know better next time :-)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

leadatortilla said...

Did YOUR kids love the squash, layered cups too? Or was that kids in general? I love Ella's expression... tee hee.

Alisa said...

Totally should have clarified...certainly not MY kids eat the layered veggies (I wish!!) But the local children love them!

Unknown said...

Oh, I was wondering about that too. Just catching up on the blog - didn't know I had missed so much. I would LOVE to eat all those fruits and veggies. I'm jealous, and will have to come visit you soon!