Monday, February 28, 2011

Remember when I said I would share with you some of my tried-and-true favorite vegan recipes? Chances are no one cares, and the people who have asked for this in the past no longer read the blog...but, oh well! I have found it helpful to look up my recipes online when I am out and about, and can't find it!

Do you want to know how many photos I've taken of vegan recipes in the past 9 months? A lot! But I haven't posted that many. Maybe I'll reform myself? Or maybe not...

This one is from 1,000 Vegan Recipes, a cookbook I dream about, but don't actually own! Why? I don't know...



Coconut-Peanut Chickpeas and Vegetables

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp hot or mild curry powder
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 (13.5 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
3 cups cooked or 2 (15.5 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
3 cups fresh baby spinach
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Crushed unsalted roasted peanuts, for garnish. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, cover, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the peanut butter and gradually stir in the coconut milk until well blended. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and spinach, stirring to wilt the spinach, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until how and the flavors are well blended, about 7 minutes. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the peanuts.

My changes? I like to add a lot more peanut butter. Seriously--who doesn't like more peanut butter?
Also, Jared won't eat food with crunchy nuts in it. I absolutely LOVE nuts in things. Darn.

And for those of you who can't buy or handle cooking too many fresh things (::clearing throat:: You know which sister you are....), I'd like you to know that a package of frozen spinach works just as well. (However, fresh is amazing--so you can buy a pre-washed bag of it to throw in, if you must)!! This is a seriously delicious recipe that I happily enjoy as leftovers for several days!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You must be referring to me, but it's not necessarily an aversion to "fresh things". It's an aversion to too many ingredients. There are simply too many ingredients!!!