Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Best Mexican Rice!

Well, truth be told, I have never made Mexican Rice in MY LIFE (and I don' think I've ever really had a desire, either). I just happened to come across a recipe today, and it "changed my life!!" Seriously though, I rarely "nail" a recipe on the first try (in fact, I usually BOTCH it because I refuse to follow all of the instructions), so I was flabbergasted when this turned out to be gorgeous, yummy Mexican Rice. Very simple, very fast, and instead of Long Grain Rice, I just used Jasmine Rice that I had on hand. The result? Perfection. Try it, you won't regret it!!

The recipe is from: www.great-salsa.com/mexican-rice-recipes.html

Surprisingly Simple Mexican Rice

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 cup long grain rice
½ onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, mashed with 1 ½ teaspoon of Kosher Salt to form a paste.
3 teaspoons chili powder
2 ½ cup water

Here’s how.
Heat the oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the rice and fry it until golden.
Hint: There is a fine line between golden and too brown, so watch carefully. Remember the popcorn aroma? Well the rice will give off a toasty, popcorn smell when done.
Drain off and discard any excess oil.
Add the onion, garlic salt paste and sauté for 1 more minute.
Add the chile powder and 2 ½ cups water. Cook over medium heat till you see little holes forming on the surface of the rice, about 10 minutes. Note: This means most of the liquid is absorbed.
Turn the heat to low, cover and steam for 4 to 8 minutes longer, jut till the rice has absorbed all the liquid and is tender.

Makes 6 servings.
It’s okay to take a peak at the cooking rice to check on it. It’s so simple.
Perfect results – Mexican Rice Recipes – You did it!

No comments: