Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 20 - A Hobby of Mine

Whoa. I would never in my life have thought that this would be a hard thing to pinpoint. After all, when growing up I had a TON of hobbies. Theatre, Dance, Soccer, Scrapbooking, Volunteering, the list went on. But now...in a life full of diaper changes, baby feedings, bathing kiddos, and making food...I find it hard to fit anything else in (besides work--which doesn't count as a "hobby").

But I suppose one thing that MAY count as a hobby is that I love learning about new ecologically/economically friendly things to do. I love learning about what can be improved upon, why, and then making the change. For example...I switched to cloth diapering, a more vegan-ish diet, recycling, making reusable trash liners & baby wipes, etc. I think it's fun, and I feel so fulfilled when I do!! And I am also toying with the idea of making my own lotions and laundry detergents, and I am looking forward to the day when I can garden and compost!

And I guess that brings up another "hobby"...cooking. I've never considered myself much of a cook. I take after my mom in the fact that I use recipes as an "inspiration" rather than a rule book. Sometimes this works to my advantage, and sometimes it doesn't. I love searching for new recipes, and finding a winner. Even when I make a "loser"...at least I tried!! I follow a lot of vegan and vegetarian blogs, and if a recipe interests me, I save into my electronic cookbook (hosted by Midwest Living Magazine's website!). I *star* the recipes I have tried and liked. The ones that aren't starred are recipes I'm interested in trying. If they turn out well, I star them. If they don't, I delete them!

Whew. I came up with something after all. Sorry my "30 days" has turned into more like 60+ days!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I totally get it about not having a "hobby." Every now and then, I look up from my frantic daily life, and realize I have zero hobbies/talents. I just keep hanging on to that whole "motherhood is my talent" thing. Guess my kids better turn out perfect or I'm really hosed! :)